Damage Claims

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Damage Claims

If you are seeking compensatory damages for bodily injury or property damage due to a defective road condition, we first urge you to contact your own insurance company to see if you have applicable coverage before filing a claim with the Shiawassee County Road Commission (SCRC).

Claims filed with SCRC are decided on a case-by-case basis by our insurance carrier, or the insurance carrier of a contractor performing work within the county road right of way. SCRC does not investigate potential claims and has no authority to independently settle any claims.

Primary/Local Road Damage Claim

If you believe your vehicle sustained damages on a Shiawassee County primary or local road due to a defective road condition, you can file a claim for damages by following the steps below:

How to file a claim:

  1. If you have not already done so, please report the road hazard online or by phone (989) 743-2228.
  2. The incident must have occurred on a roadway under the jurisdiction of the Shiawassee County Road Commission. If unsure please review the county road certification maps.
  3. To obtain a Claim Form and Instructions For Reporting Losses, please contact the Shiawassee County Road Commission at (989) 743-2228.

Please be aware that under state governmental immunity laws MCL 691.1402 and MCL 691.1403 you must show that the Shiawassee County Road Commission failed to maintain the actual roadbed of the highway in reasonable repair to prove a highway defect claim. You also must show that the Shiawassee County Road Commission knew of the condition and had an opportunity to repair it, or that the condition existed for more than 30 days.

Damage Claims on Other Roadways in Shiawassee County

If your vehicle sustained damage on a state trunkline highway in Shiawassee County (M-21, M-52, M-71 [Corunna Avenue], M-78 [Lansing Road-from the Clinton County Line to M-52], or I-69 you can visit the MDOT website for instructions on filing a claim.

Cities and villages within Shiawassee County are responsible for the maintenance of roads within their respective city and village limits. If you would like to report a road defect or file a damage claim in any of the cities or villages within Shiawassee County, please contact the city or village directly.

City of Corunna – (989) 743-5040

City of Durand – (989) 288-3113

City of Laingsburg – (989) 651-5374

City of Owosso – (989) 725-0556

City of Ovid – (989) 834-5550

City of Perry – (517) 625-4500

Village of Bancroft – (989) 634-5375

Village of Byron – (810) 266-5090

Village of Lennon – (810) 621-4285

Village of Morrice – (517) 625-4170

Village of New Lothrop – (810) 638-5208

Village of Vernon – (989) 288-2300