Local Road History:
In the early 1900s, the electors of Shiawassee County voted in favor of adopting a county road system; establishing the Shiawassee County Road Commission in 1912. Prior to that time, all roads, except the state trunklines were improved and maintained by the various townships; and only certain roads were designated as "County Roads" and placed under the jurisdiction of the newly-formed Road Commission. The remaining roads remained under the jurisdiction of the townships and were referred to as "Township Roads" and received funding through local property taxes.
During the Depression the township system fell on hard times due to its reliance on property taxes, which were often uncontrollable. In 1931 the State Legislature passed a law known as the "McNitt Act." This provided that all "Township Roads" be placed in the "County Road" system over a five-year period, transferring 20 percent of the roads each year. This essentially makes up the county road currently in existence. The "County Road" system is now called the "Primary Road" system and the "Township Road" system is now called the "Local Road" system.
Presently, the Shiawassee County Road Commission is responsible for maintaining a 1,383 mile road system with 108 bridges. Of these 1,383 miles, 494 miles are county gravel roads; 607 miles are county hard surfaced roads; and 282 miles are state trunklines running through Shiawassee County. Currently, 35 Road Commission employees work to make Shiawassee County's roads as safe and convenient as the budget permits.
During the Construction season of 2017, the Road Commission, in conjunction with all 16 townships, completed:
A total of 82 miles (7.5%
of the total 1,101 mile of county roads) were improved in 2017.
Did you know: